Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Man accused of causing death of a girl, 7, in Channel tragedy will be extradited to France for trial

Published on April 01, 2025 at 11:31 PM

A MAN accused of causing the death of a young girl in a Channel tragedy will be extradited to France to face trial.

Seven-year-old Sara Alhashimi and four others were crushed when too many people piled on to a dinghy setting off for the UK from Wimereux in April 2024.

Photo of Sara Alhashimi.
Sara Alhashimi, 7, was crushed when too many people piled on to a dinghy setting off for the UK from Wimereux in April 2024

Sudanese passenger Musaab Altijani, 20, was arrested a month later in Hillingdon, West London, and District Judge John McGarva ordered his expulsion last week.

French prosecutors are pursuing a charge of involuntary manslaughter over the five deaths.

Sara’s heartbroken father, Ahmed, 41, previously said of his daughter’s death: “I could not protect her. I will never forgive myself. But the sea was the only choice I had.

“I saw how those men were behaving.

“They didn't care whom they were stepping on – a child, or someone's head, young or old.

“People started to suffocate. I just wanted him to move so I could pull my baby up.”

Speaking to the BBC, he added: “I'm a construction worker. I'm strong. But I couldn't pull my leg out.

“No wonder my little girl couldn't either. She was under our feet.”;

Ahmed's wife, Nour, and their two other children, 13-year-old Rahaf and eight-year-old Hussam, were also trapped in the boat but survived.

NCA Deputy Director of Investigations Craig Turner said after his arrest: “This is the result of an investigation led by the French authorities and supported by the NCA alongside other law enforcement partners.

“We said at the time of this tragic incident that we were determined to do all we can to identify those responsible for this event and bring them to justice. That remains the case.”;

Prev Article

Fury as Trump signs off Starmer’s Chagos Islands handover in deal set to cost UK taxpayers BILLIONS

Next Article

Bella Hadid looks stunning as she poses in tiny pants and a buckle belt for Italian fashion label Miss Sixty

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *