Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Crucial motorway used by 120,000 daily is hit by delays & 40mph speed limits for TWO YEARS – will you be impacted?

Published on April 04, 2025 at 11:24 AM

DRIVERS are being hit by new speed limit and closures on the UK's longest motorway.

The M6 is introducing a new 40mph speed limit until 2027, and closing sections of the as a two-year planned project is underway.

M5 motorway traffic jam near Birmingham.
Drivers will face delays on the M6 for the next two years

Closures are occurring on the northbound carriageway this Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 April, from 10pm to 6am between junctions 39 and 40.

The southbound carriageway will then be closed Saturday April 12, and Saturday May 17 at the same times.

This is due to major repairs on Lowther Bridge, which takes over the River Lowther into the south of Penrith.

With Lowther Bridge being a vital part of the infrastructure of the M6, National Highways project manager, Sam Whitfield, says the maintenance is necessary for the motorway to continue operating for the long-term.

He said: “If we do not act now, the risk is drivers and the community will suffer from unplanned motorway closures and regular delays.”

Diversion signs via the A6 will be visible to drivers during these road closures, with the carriageway reduced to two lanes.

The repair works are part of the £9 million Lowther Bridge Project, and £60 million WestCoast Railways Clifton M6 bridge replacement projects.

These involve replacing bridge expansion joints which allow it to expand or contract in different weather conditions, waterproofing the bridge deck, and resurfacing and repairing the central safety barrier.

Whitfield add: “To reduce disruption, we’re working with Network Rail’s nearby project at Clifton to share traffic management.

“This means only a limited number of full motorway closures are needed and ensures the M6 will be open for most of our work.”;

Drivers are urged to check the latest travel advice before journeys over the M6, but it will remain open at all times.

They will also be required to adhere to the new 40mph speed limit, with Network Rail traffic management in the area working to replace Clifton Bridge over the next 18 months.

It comes after work on the bridge planned for last year was halted due to environmental approval needed as bats were discovered under the bridge.

Aerial view of a highway interchange.
The carriageway will be reduced to two lanes
Prev Article

‘Seems a little bit strong’ – Chris Eubank Jr to appeal ‘steep’ £100,000 fine for Conor Benn egg slap

Next Article

Dangote: PETROAN fingers Nigerian local refinery for importing substandard crude

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *