Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

England fans concerned as Callum Wilson is subbed at half-time of Newcastle vs Southampton just weeks before World Cup

Published on November 06, 2022 at 09:07 PM

ENGLAND fans have been left with their hearts in mouth yet again after Callum Wilson was substituted at half-time for Newcastle.

The Three Lions World Cup hopeful came off at the break in the game at Southampton.

Callum Wilson was taken off at half-time against SouthamptonWilson, 30, was replaced up front by Chris Wood.

It’s currently unclear whether or not the substitution was due to an injury.

The six-goal striker had recently been suffering from a cold.

He said earlier in the week on The Footballer’s Football Podcast: “I feel a little run down this week, so I need to make sure no illness kicks in fully, clear that out.”;

Toon gaffer Eddie Howe said on his striker ahead of the game: “Yeah, I think he’s OK. He’s had a little cold.

“It’s funny how everything gets around, especially if you do a podcast! Finger crossed, he’ll be OK.”;

And England fans were left hoping Wilson was still just feeling the effects from the cold.

One wrote on Twitter: “Really hope @CallumWilson just still under the weather.”;

HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL

Another said: “Callum Wilson off. Pray that’s because he isn’t feeling well.”;

Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate was in the stands at St. Mary’s watching the game.

Wilson, who has two assists to go with his six goals this season, missed five games earlier this term with a hamstring injury.

The ex-Bournemouth forward is a strong candidate for a seat on the plane to Qatar, despite it being two years since his last England appearance.

There was also brief concern for Kieran Trippier, who is expected to be in Southgate’s squad.

He was treated by physios and had one hand on his hamstring just before the break, but thankfully for England and Newcastle, the right-back managed to play on.

The Three Lions are already without Ben Chilwell for the tournament, which gets underway in just two weeks.

Reece James is also a major doubt as he battles to recover from a knee injury in time to play a part.

Prev Article

Tottenham vs Liverpool LIVE: Stream, TV channel, kick-off time and team news for HUGE Premier League match

Next Article

‘Legend says he’s still rolling’ – Leeds star Gnonto comically falls over in epic celebration fail against Bournemouth

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *