Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Ex-Police officer allegedly kills two family members over land dispute in Lagos

Published on April 02, 2025 at 12:17 PM

The Yovoyan community in Badagry, Lagos, was thrown into mourning on Tuesday morning when an ex-police officer, allegedly shot and killed two family members and one other person over a land dispute.

It was gathered that Mr Richard Atideka, Mrs Latevi Atideka, both from the Yovoyan community, and Mr Muji Onilude from the neighbouring Gberefu community, were killed by the ex-police officer and his accomplice.

A survivor of the attack, Mr David Atideka, recounted the harrowing experience, stating that the incident occurred between 2:00 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. in the Atideka compound.

“I was inside my room discussing with my wife when I stepped out to urinate. As I did, I saw two armed men entering the compound. I quickly hid nearby.

“They entered my room, asked for me, and immediately shot my wife in the head. Out of fear, I ran to inform my elder brother, but when I arrived, I found his lifeless body—he had been shot too,”;; David narrated.

He further alleged that he saw his elder brother, the suspect, the ex-police officer, along with another armed person, leaving the compound after killing his wife and brother.

“The person I saw was my brother, the police officer. I recognized him clearly,”;; he said.

NAN learnt that the alleged suspected killer had been in a long-standing dispute with his brothers over land ownership.

A reliable source disclosed that the suspect had been attempting to seize land from David and Richard Atideka.

“They had taken the matter to court, where the suspect was arrested and detained but later released on bail. They were due for a final court judgment this Thursday,”;; the source revealed.

Meanwhile, Mr Yusuf Onilude, the son of slain Muji Onilude, said his father had just left his room moments before he was murdered.

“My father came to my room at about 2:10 a.m. We spoke for a few minutes before he left.

“Less than five minutes later, I heard gunshots outside. I rushed out and saw a man running away. I chased him, but he fired shots in the air and escaped.

“When I returned, I found my father in a pool of blood. He had been shot dead,”;; he said.

Reacting to the incident, the community representative, Mr James Yovoyan urged the police to ensure the perpetrators were brought to justice.

Chief Lorence Atideka, the family head, lamented the tragedy, calling on the government to arrest and prosecute everyone involved.

However, Henry Atideka, the son of the alleged killer, denied the accusations, claiming that unknown gunmen carried out the attack.

“My father was not around when the incident happened, and he has been invited by the police.

“Although the family had some disagreements, it was not about land but a conspiracy, which we planned to resolve this Thursday,”;; he said.

Prev Article

High street retail chain with 240 UK sites to shut major shopping centre store as closing down sale launched

Next Article

Victoria Beckham’s most x-rated confessions from kinky bedroom to David wearing her pants- and live TV sex life slip-up

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *