Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Anambra guber: Okonkwo withdraws from APC primary election, as exercise lingers

Published on April 05, 2025 at 06:39 PM

A Governorship aspirant of All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof Obiora Okonkwo has withdrawn from the race for the ticket of the party.

The withdrawal is coming following controversies rocking the delegates' list of the party.

The exercise which is taking place at Dora Akunyili Women's Development centre was billed to begin at 9am, but as at 6:30pm, it was yet to commence, while delegates were said to be undergoing accreditation in diverse undisclosed hotels in the Awka capital city.

DAILY POST gathered that earlier in the day, there was fracas at one of the accreditation points, with thugs hired by one of the aspirants inflicting injuries on several delegates in an attempt to highjack the process.

Presently, three people have withdrawn from the race. They are: Sir Paul Chukwuma, Hon Chuma Umeoji and now Prof Obiora Okonkwo. Those still in the contest include; Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, Engr Johnbosco Onunkwo and Hon Edozie Madu.

While Chukwuma cited the existence of some unprogressive elements within the party as reason for his withdrawal and resignation from the party, Okonkwo cited violence which may endanger his supporters if he continues, as the reason for his withdrawal.

In his withdrawal letter which was made available to DAILY POST, Okonkwo said: “After a careful evaluation, and reflection, on the current state of the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election process in Anambra State, I have decided to withdraw my aspiration for the party's governorship ticket.

“This decision to withdraw from the race was a difficult but necessary one because of some developments that are inconsistent with my principles and values. The project is not worth risking the lives of my supporters among other reasons.

“However, my passion for public service remains strong, and I will continue contributing to the socio-economic and political development of Anambra State and our country, Nigeria.

“I will also continue to help in ways I can towards the realization of President Bola Tinubu's development programmes and the economic growth of our country, for the good of our countrymen and women.

“I appreciate the trust and support my political associates, supporters and stakeholders in the APC and other places have shown me. Your support has meant a lot. and I'm grateful for the opportunity to have connected with so many committed and passionate Anambrarians.”

Prev Article

Tories plot to block peerage for former MP who spilled their sex secrets

Next Article

The everyday item you should NEVER put in the washing machine – it could land you with a £200 bill

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *