Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

‘I knew that when I started boxing’ – Delicious Orie ready to step up as Britain’s next heavyweight star

Published on April 03, 2025 at 09:00 AM

DELICIOUS ORIE entered boxing ready to exploit a heavyweight gap in the market.

Born in Moscow to a Russian mother and Nigerianfather, Orie's family

Boxer flexing in boxing gym.
Delicious Orie prepares to turn professional
A boxer from Armenia celebrates his victory over a British boxer in a boxing match.
He was beaten in the 2024 Olympics by Armenia’sDavitChaloyan

But he only picked up boxing at 18 – having previously played basketball – but what followed was a hugely successful amateur career.

Orie won a bronze medal at the 2022 European Championships as well as national titles before

He was eliminated under controversial circumstances and has since turned professional.

to sign with Hall of Fame promoter Frank Warren – debuting in Manchester on Saturday.

And he does so with and nearing the end of their careers – due to leave behind big gloves that will need filling.

Down to earth Orie, 27, told SunSport: “I knew that when I started boxing, I did my market research.

“I knew that when I started boxing, I knew that there was a missing target audience that I can appeal to.

“I believe that I'm quite real and I could appeal to just normal people and I can also try and inspire as many people that were or still are in my position.

“So I thought to myself, there's definitely a gap in that market for me. So from before I even thought about turning professional, I knew that.”

Orie was tipped to follow in AJ's steps and win Olympic gold – but he was beaten via controversial decision against Armenia's Davit Chaloyan.

And he reflected: “The thing that makes it harder is the fact that I'll never be able to do it again. That's the part that's difficult.

“Not necessarily the fact that everyone thought I won it. At the end of the day I lost and a judge – someone said you lost – it is what it is.

“But it's the fact that I can't do it again. I could do it in a different way but it's not the Olympics. So that, that's the hardest bit for me to take.”

Orie took some time out after his Olympic heartache, travelling to Thailand with his partner.

He got a shock offer to trial at the – but ultimately chose boxing after some consideration.

Orie said: “First of all, it was time for me to be a bit less selfish and spend time with my family because I know I was away from them for a good few months leading up to the Olympics and also the tournaments and stuff beforehand and the training camps, etc.

“So I just needed to give as much time as I can to them. Then it was the WWE seeing what's that's like in America and exploring that option.

There'll be people gathering together watching Delecious Orie box, whether they don't like me or like me, doesn't matter. They'll be watching.

“And after that, I just needed a few weeks just to really find what my drive is and what is it that I want out of this life.

“So that took a few good few weeks and then it was a good few weeks of negotiations and just speaking with different promoters and stuff like that.

“So it got us to around this time where I'm like, right OK, cool, I'm ready now.

“I know exactly what I need. I've got my training facility, I've got my promoter. I'm ready to go.”

Orie is being coached by Grant Smith in Sheffield and makes his debut on the undercard of

He faces 3-7 Milos Veletic from Bosnia And Herzegovina in what Orie promises will be the first of many eye-catching performances in 2025.

Orie said: “I'll be very, very busy. And it'll be very, very exciting.

“There'll be people gathering together watching Delecious Orie box, whether they don't like me or like me, doesn't matter. They'll be watching.”

Two boxers posing in a boxing gym.
Anthony Joshua with Orie
Prev Article

Fresh twist in Martin Clunes’ row with ‘hippie’ neighbours as star fights to keep Travellers from building caravan site

Next Article

Hulu’s The Kardashians slammed as ‘snoozefest’ as fans beg for the old show back and share major complaints

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *