Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Cody Gakpo hints at Man Utd transfer as he regrets failed summer move and reveals he snubbed two Premier League clubs

Published on October 19, 2022 at 02:15 PM

PSV star Cody Gakpo has thrown the door back open to a Manchester United transfer after revealing he held talks with them this summer.

The 23-year-old Dutch international was the subject of interest from a number of Premier League clubs late on in the window.

Cody Gakpo has thrown the door back open to a potential switch to Man UtdUnited explored the possibility of signing him when a deal for Ajax attacker Antony proved difficult, although they eventually got it over the line.

Southampton were also keen on the ace and rumours had suggested they agreed a £34million fee with the Dutch club.

Leeds chief Victor Orta then travelled to Holland to try to negotiate the transfer but Gakpo turned them down after he allegedly refused to board a plane to England to finalise the transfer to Elland Road.

Now the winger has revealed that he was “close”; to a switch to Old Trafford after transfer talks with United boss Erik ten Hag.

He told The Times: “I was close to leaving, I spoke to Erik ten Hag a few times at Manchester United.

“In the end the deal didn’t go through, which was a shame, for me and my development, and because Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world, but also for PSV, because to transfer a player to Manchester United is a good thing for the club.

“It ended about a week before the end of the transfer window and in that week I had to decide if I would go to Leeds or Southampton.

“In the end I stayed, but it was a stressful period.”;

Gakpo has not let his disappointment at failing to sign for United get him down as he has fired 14 goals in 20 appearances so far this term for club and country.

He looks nailed on to be part of Louis van Gaal’s Netherlands squad at the World Cup next month – and the ace still has eyes on a switch to the Premier League.

He said: “I always said if I stay here, it’s my childhood club. It’s not a punishment.

“I like being here, I want to win trophies here and do my best for the club.

“But if I got the chance to go to the Premier League or something, of course I would have to consider that option. At that time it was hectic for me but I recovered pretty quickly.”;

Prev Article

Tyson Fury vs Derek Chisora 3: Date, UK start time, live stream, TV channel and undercard – what we know so far

Next Article

Saskay stars in Magixx’s “All Over” Music Video | Watch

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *