Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Deontay Wilder up for super-fight with Anthony Joshua in front of 80,000 fans at Wembley next year

Published on October 18, 2022 at 01:10 PM

ANTHONY JOSHUA has been told Deontay Wilder is ready to negotiate for a super-fight at Wembley next year.

The American returned last weekend with a trademark bang knocking out Robert Helenius inside three minutes in New York.

Deontay Wilder celebrates after knocking out Robert HeleniusAnthony Joshua has been told Deontay Wilder is ready to negotiate a super-fight next yearBefore the comeback bout, Wilder’s manager Shelly Finkel received an invite from Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn to speak over the phone.

But Finkel wanted to hold out until after the Bronze Bomber made his return following a year out of action.

Following Wilder’s statement first-round finish, the Hall of Famer promoter is leaving the door open for talks with Hearn.

Finkel told SunSport: “We said at the press conference it depends what surfaces this week. Whether it be Oleksandr Usyk, or Hearn reaching out.

“It’s funny with Eddie, he made all these big statements before, ‘Oh, I tried and I tried, Shelly doesn’t want to talk to me.’

“I said I would talk to him, but after the fight, because that is when it makes sense, that is what the reality is.

“I always said, there was no reason to have spoken before the fight, but we’re always willing to talk to him.”;

Finkel is even prepared to take Wilder abroad, whether it be for a mega-money Middle East deal or a stadium fight in England.

He said: “I was asked if they offered the right deal, would we do the fight in the UK? Of course.

“Financially, it could be Saudi Arabia or another country, but it really comes down to them.

“I believe the fight between Deontay and Joshua will do 80,000 at Wembley.”;

Joshua, 33, and Wilder, 36, failed to agree terms throughout 2018 and 2019, when the pair were unbeaten and holding all four titles.

Since then, AJ has lost three of his last five bouts, most recently twice to Usyk, 35, who retained the unified treasure.

Meanwhile Wilder was beaten consecutively by Fury, 34, in that period before dispatching his ex-sparring partner Helenius, 38.

The former WBC champion called out Usyk and promotional stable-mate Andy Ruiz Jr, 33, after his emphatic return.

But Joshua has twice faced those two and recently failed to agree terms for a December Battle of Britain with Fury.

I was asked if they offered the right deal, would we do the fight in the UK? Of course... I believe the fight between Deontay and Joshua will do 80,000 at Wembley.

Deontay Wilder's manager Shelly Finkel

It leaves Finkel believing the 2012 Olympic gold medalist has little lucrative avenues to explore other than a showdown with Wilder.

He said: “Two or three years ago, when Joshua and us did not make the fight, he had options and he was on top of the world.

“Right now, he doesn’t have many options and if Fury fights Usyk, the only real big fight out there for Joshua is us.

“But it’s up to them. The important thing, without getting into a big dialogue with Eddie, was to wait until after the fight and then decide.

“If Deontay lost, there would be no fight, but now we’ll see, the fight is as enormous as ever.”;

Wilder, who turns 37 this week, has warned he has only three years left in the sport before retiring at 40.

So Finkel wants a swift return by March to embark on two major fights in 2023.

He said: “Ideally he’d come back in the spring, like March. The preference would be probably Usyk, Joshua or Ruiz.

“And then some scenario whoever the first fight was, then the second fight we’d do that, I wouldn’t assume three fight but two.”;

Deontay Wilder knocked out Robert Helenius in the first round
Prev Article

Graham Potter lines up Lille’s Jonathan David as first Chelsea transfer as he plots move for striker in January

Next Article

Arsenal vs PSV: Live stream, TV channel, kick-off time and team news for Europa League clash at the Emirates

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *