Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Edo guber: PDP dismisses leaked judgement as Ighodalo, Okpebholo know fate today

Published on April 02, 2025 at 07:38 AM

Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal will today, Wednesday, decide on the petition of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, on the conduct of last year's gubernatorial election in the State.

The PDP and Ighodalo are challenging the declaration of Senator Monday Okpebholo of the All Progressives Congress, APC, as the winner of the September 21, 2024 election by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

They alleged that the election was marred by irregularities and non compliance with the electoral laws.

DAILY POST reported that the three-member tribunal, headed by Justice Wilfred Kpochi, had, on March 3, reserved judgment in the petition after parties adopted their final written addresses.

However, confusion erupted on Tuesday as leaked copies of a yet-to-be-read judgement of the Edo State Governorship tribunal flooded the internet.

According to the judgement document making the rounds on the internet, the lead judgement dismissed the petition and affirmed the election of Governor Monday Okpebholo.

Reacting to the development, the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Debo Ologunagba, dismissed the purported judgment circulating online.

In an interview with DAILY POST on Tuesday, Ologunagba stated that it was not right to believe the alleged court judgment.

He said: “I don't work online. You can't stick your integrity on someone just waking up one morning and put something online and then you begin to run around with that; that's not alright.”

On whether his party is optimistic about the upcoming tribunal judgement, the PDP spokesman stated that the party would first wait for the court to give its judgement on the matter before it will react to it.

Ologunagba added that there's nothing optimistic about the Nigerian judiciary.

“Let them come out with the judgment first. Then we will deal with that.

“Obviously there's nothing optimistic about the Nigerian judiciary,” he added.

Meanwhile, ahead of Wednesday, today’s judgment by the Tribunal, the state Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has sent a message of hope and unity to supporters, members of the ruling APC, and residents of the state.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Fred Itua, in a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja, said that Okpebholo urged all residents of the state to maintain peace and order.

According to the statement, the governor expressed full confidence in the judiciary and its ability to deliver a fair and just judgment.

“The tribunal’s decision is a crucial part of our democratic process, and we must all respect its authority.

“I want to emphasise that our state’s progress and development are paramount. We must not allow political differences to disrupt the peace and harmony we have worked so hard to build.

“We are people committed to democracy, peace, and progress,”; the governor said.

Prev Article

I picked up a random toy from the charity shop for £3 & made £73 when I sold it – have you got one hiding in your loft?

Next Article

Akpabio, Ododo, Bello never planned to kill Natasha – Kogi govt

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *