Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

‘Everything was foggy, the experience frightened me’ – Tyson Fury reveals devastating impact of Deontay Wilder’s punches

Published on October 29, 2022 at 12:21 PM

TYSON FURY has revealed the devastating impact of ex-rival Deontay Wilder’s punches.

The Gypsy King, 34, met the Bronze Bomber, 36, in a trilogy.

Fury experienced short-term memory loss after his third fight with WilderThe Brit was knocked down multiple times before rising up to secure two wins and a drawThe boxer’s new autobiography Gloves Off, is out on November 10Los Angeles played host to the first fight in 2018, which ended in a split draw, despite the thrilling contest which saw Fury rise from the ashes like The Undertaker late on in Round 12.

The pair then fought again in 2019 and Fury defeated Wilder via technical knockout, picking up the WBC heavyweight title.

A trilogy fight was then held in 2021, with both fighters landing heavy shots.

Both scored knockdowns but Fury retained his title with a knockout.

However, Fury experienced some side effects to his gruelling fights with boxing‘s most devastating puncher.

Fury experienced short-term memory loss and his head was covered in “tennis ball-­sized lumps”;.

In an extract from his autobiography, Gloves Off, Fury recalled: “So while getting my face punched in for a living has put millions of pounds in the bank, a fighter needs to know when their time is ­up — and mine is near.

“Walking away from boxing may be the hardest thing I ever do.

“All I know is that I don’t want to overstay my welcome, ruin my legacy, or die from a big right to the side of the head.

“And believe me, an ending like that has felt worryingly real at times.

“I even experienced short-­term memory loss following that bruising encounter with Wilder in 2021, when, in the hours after the win, my head covered in tennis ball-­sized lumps, it was impossible to remember how many times I’d gone down.

“Everything was foggy, and the experience frightened me.

“No way do I want to end up living out my days in a wheelchair, or eating my dinners through a straw.

“After that fight with Wilder, I told my promoter Frank Warren that I planned to retire.”;

Despite the evident shock to Fury’s system, he fought again earlier this year against fellow Brit Dillian Whyte.

Fury retained his WBC title inside a packed-out Wembley Stadium, finishing off with another KO.

He will fight again at the end of this year, facing off against Derek Chisora in a trilogy fight, and could even go further and take on Oleksandr Usyk in a unification fight for the ages.

Fury says it won’t be long before he retires from boxingWalking away from boxing is the hardest thing he will have to do, says Fury
Prev Article

Man Utd outcast Donny van de Beek is January transfer target for Valencia but £100,000-a-week wages are huge problem

Next Article

EPL: Man United improved – Guardiola hints on season’s top four

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *