Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Israel kills Hamas commander in Lebanon

Published on April 04, 2025 at 05:13 PM

Israel on Friday killed a commander of the Palestinian militant group Hamas in an airstrike on southern Lebanon, further testing a ceasefire that halted last year's war between Israel and Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

According to the Israeli military, the targeted militant, Hassan Farhat, was behind a rocket attack on the city of Safed last year that killed and wounded several Israeli soldiers.

The military vowed to act against Hamas fighters wherever they operate.

DAILY POST reports that Farhat was killed along with his son and daughter in the strike in the southern Lebanese city of Sidon.

Hamas' armed wing the al-Qassam Brigades said Farhat was assassinated in his apartment in Sidon, praising his “blessed contributions” to the confrontation with Israel over the years.

In a statement, Iran-backed Hezbollah condemned the strike, saying that the targeting of Sidon is evidence of the enemy's intention to expand the scope of its aggression and target all of Lebanon.

DAILY POST reports that Hamas and Hezbollah are allies, and Hezbollah launched a campaign of cross border strikes on Israel in solidarity with the Palestinian group in 2023.

Israel, however, responded with a major air and ground campaign in Lebanon last year that killed much of the Hezbollah leadership.

According to Lebanese Prime Minister's office, Israeli attack on Friday was a clear violation of a US-backed ceasefire.

The ceasefire, agreed in November, has appeared increasingly precarious in recent weeks, with Israel striking the Hezbollah-controlled southern suburbs of Beirut twice and rockets being fired on two occasions from Lebanon towards Israel.

Hezbollah also accused the ceasefire sponsors, led by the U.S., of overlooking Israeli attacks.

The US backed Israel after the Israeli strikes in Beirut's southern suburbs and said Israel was defending itself, blaming terrorists for the resumption of hostilities.

Prev Article

Kogi APC zonal vice chairman is dead

Next Article

‘Not even the cameraman knew’ – Darts star winks at camera after outrageous checkout that leaves commentator in shock

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *