Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

LG crisis: NULGE national executive backs Osun chapter’s decision to withdraw services

Published on April 04, 2025 at 04:11 PM

The National Executive Council of the National Union of Local Government Employees, NULGE, has thrown its weight behind the Osun State chapter of the union following the decision to withdraw services due to the ongoing local government crisis in the state.

Speaking during a meeting at the Osun State Government Secretariat, Abere, on Friday, the National President of NULGE, Aliyu Haruna Kankara, expressed full support for the decision, stating that it reflects the leadership’s commitment to the welfare of its members.

Kankara commended the Osun State Government for prioritising workers’ welfare, highlighting that the state’s minimum wage structure ranks among the best in Nigeria.

He said, “The leadership of the Osun chapter has demonstrated genuine concern for its members. We fully support their decision and will stand by them.

“We visited several locations yesterday and observed significant development projects. We engaged with our members, and they affirmed that this government is making remarkable progress.

“The previous narrative suggested that there was no money, but Governor Adeleke’s administration has changed that perception.”;

The NULGE president also noted that the Osun State chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, had already declared support for Governor Ademola Adeleke’s administration and assured that the national leadership in Abuja shares the same stance.

“When we toured the state, we saw peace and progress. We see no reason to alter a functioning system. Our decision is firm, and our priority remains the welfare and security of our workers,”; he affirmed.

In response, Governor Adeleke, represented by his Deputy, Prince Kola Adewusi, expressed gratitude for NULGE’s solidarity. He reiterated the government’s commitment to ensuring the well-being of Osun State workers.

“The visit of the NULGE President is significant, as it demonstrates a genuine concern for his members. Our administration remains dedicated to ensuring peace and stability in Osun State,”; Adewusi said.

He disclosed that Adeleke had instructed newly elected local government chairmen and councillors to stay away from secretariats to prevent any possible unrest.

“The plan was to create chaos in the secretariats and extend the disturbance to the state level to justify declaring a state of emergency. However, that attempt failed,”; he stated.

Christopher Arapasopo, Chairman of the Osun State NLC, supported the withdrawal of NULGE members from their offices, describing it as a necessary step to safeguard their well-being.

Arapasopo also commended Governor Adeleke for prioritising workers’ welfare and stated that Osun State workers would declare their support for the governor at the upcoming May Day celebrations, recognising his efforts in ensuring timely promotions and salary payments.

“The decision to withdraw services was made to protect lives and property. Governor Adeleke has remained committed to workers’ welfare and has upheld his campaign promises.

“We have never had it this good. Unlike past administrations, where promotions were given without financial backing, Governor Adeleke has regularised the system. Workers now receive their entitlements promptly,”; he concluded.

Prev Article

The 4 warning symptoms that strike in the days before sudden adult death syndrome revealed

Next Article

Towie backstage row leaves show in chaos as fuming cast explode over Ella Rae Wise landing Celebrity Big Brother

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *