Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Roberto De Zerbi faces MUTINY from Marseille starts after ‘refusing to take training’ following 3-1 loss

Published on April 04, 2025 at 11:19 AM

ROBERTO DE ZERBI has faced a player mutiny at Marseille, according to reports.

The Italian, 45, took charge of the giants after leaving last summer.

Roberto De Zerbi coaching during a Ligue 1 match.
Roberto De Zerbi's Marseille have endured an awful run of form
Olympique de Marseille soccer players looking dejected.
Marseille have lost four of their last five games

have experienced a turbulent first season under , going through brilliant highs and extreme lows.

But in recent weeks, they have gone way off the boil.

Saturday's 3-1 defeat at relegation-battling Reims made it four losses in five for Marseille.

Reports in France claim that Marseille players were subsequently made to stay the night at the club's training ground, such was their manager's disgust.

It then emerged that rest days scheduled for Sunday and Monday had been cancelled.

Things reached a boiling point on Monday, when De Zerbi reportedly told the players that he would not be taking training.

According to L'Equipe, players were left feeling let down by their coach and refused to train if he was not leading the sessions.

This led director of football and former centre-back Medhi Benatia to step in.

The 37-year-old is claimed to have told the squad to “justify the club’s financial investment in them”.

Players are said to have not bought Benatia's reasoning – pointing to his former clubs and and asking whether De Zerbi's antics would be put up with by those European giants.

The Marseille boss is also said to have made a brutal jibe at defender Pol Lirola after last Saturday's match.

Lirola, 27, has been at Marseille since 2021 but prior to this season had spent the last two years out on loan.

Following the defeat at Reims, during which Lirola was hooked at half-time, De Zerbi is claimed to have said to him: “Nobody wanted you at this club last summer, I was the only one to believe in you, and you thank me by defending like that?”

Having entered the season with lofty ambitions Marseille have fallen to third in the Ligue 1 table, a staggering 22 points behind leaders .

They are now just four points above seventh and could face missing out on European football, should their recent slump continue.

Marseille will host mid-table Toulouse this Sunday, desperate for three points to get back on track.

Dejected Marseille players on the field.
Marseille have a huge game against Toulouse on Sunday
Prev Article

Ferrari make major update to Lewis Hamilton’s F1 steering wheel with special feature he used at Mercedes

Next Article

BREAKING: Court bars parties from granting interviews in Natasha’s case against Akpabio, others

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *