The Ogun State Police Command says it has intensified security measures at the four intersections of Sagamu, assuring residents and commuters of their maximum safety.
This follows recent concerns over security in the area, including reports circulating on social media about an alleged robbery incident in Sagamu.
According to the circulating report, a pastor was robbed and macheted under the bridge at the Sagamu interchange, and he later died.
The report reads: “I am typing this with a heavy heart, but I think it is necessary so that my brothers and sisters, families, and friends can be aware of what is going on around us. We really need to know that the Sagamu interchange has become the most dangerous zone among other zones in Ogun State.
“A pastor who happened to be my wife's uncle went for a vigil on the 21st of March, 2025, at Mowe. On Saturday, the 22nd of March, he was returning from Mowe, heading to Wasinmi, where he lived and had his prayer ground called Ori-Oke Asegun. A vehicle going to Ibadan dropped him around 6 a.m. under the bridge at the Sagamu interchange, where he wanted to board another vehicle going to Abeokuta. He was then attacked by criminals.
“Lo and behold, he was brutally cut with cutlasses and other weapons. He didn’t receive help until around 7 to 8 a.m. He was later taken to a nearby hospital but eventually died. Surprisingly, there was a report from the hospital that his case was the fourth that day from the same locationâwithout knowing how many others had been taken to different hospitals for treatment.
“My wife and I attended his burial yesterday at Wasinmi, Ogun State. It was a sorrowful event. I also learned about a young lady coming from Lagos who was attacked at the same spot by these same criminals while trying to climb the bridge to board a vehicle going to Sagamu. In her case, she was lucky. She only sustained multiple injuries on her head.
“My brothers and sisters, my mummies and daddies, please let’s inform our families and friends not to drop at the Sagamu interchange for any reason. It is a dangerous zone. These criminals are killing innocent people daily just because of gadgets (phones and other valuables),”; the report added.
Reacting to this, police spokesperson Omolola Odutola, in a statement made available to DAILY POST on Wednesday, said no such incident was formally reported at any police station.
Odutola noted that the Commissioner of Police, Lanre Ogunlowo, has proactively led efforts to reinforce security at the interchange.
She said, “As part of these measures, personnel from the Quick Intervention Squad, OP Mesa, and Mobile Police Squadrons 71 and 16 have been strategically stationed at key locations, including under the bridge, at the roundabouts, and along the inward and outward routes of the four intersections.
“During a two-hour drone surveillance exercise conducted by the Commissioner of Police, several illegal shanties and temporary structures were discovered, along with unauthorized revenue collection activities by illegal touts.”;
Omolola noted that the commissioner has directed that all commercial activities under the bridge must cease immediately and issued a stern directive for the removal of unauthorized structures starting April 3, 2025.
The command, however, advised commuters to plan their travels within reasonable daylight hours or early evenings to minimize security risks and assured the public that all necessary actions will be taken to maintain peace and order in the state.
Prev Article
Chronic depression could be ‘cured’ with laughing gas – ‘sparking the brain back into action’, scientists say
Next Article
Exactly what havoc Trump’s tariffs will wreak on UK economy as Keir admits ‘there WILL be an impact’