Governments around the globe have pledged counter measures on the US after President Donald Trump on Wednesday unveiled a new baseline 10% tariff on goods from all countries, plus reciprocal tariffs on those that his administration said have high barriers to US imports.
Trump announced the imposition of 10 percent tariff on all imports into the United States.
He made the announcement on Wednesday during an address at the White House Rose Garden.
While the minimum baseline 10 percent levy applies to all nations, a number of countries face reciprocal tariffs.
Trump referred to April 2, the new tariff plan take off date, as “Liberation Day,” saying the U.S. had been ripped off for many years.
The president already imposed 25 percent tariffs on all foreign-made vehicles as well as 25 percent tariff on imports of steel and aluminum.
DAILY POST takes a look at what some governments said about what they would, and would not do in response.
CANADA
Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada would fight the tariffs with countermeasures and was going to act with purpose and with force.
Goods from Canada and Mexico are not currently subject to reciprocal tariffs because Trump's prior 25% fentanyl-related duties remain in place on their goods, along with 10% for Canadian energy and potash.
A tariff exemption for goods compliant with the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement on trade will continue indefinitely.
CHINA
According to China's Commerce Ministry, Beijing firmly opposes the reciprocal tariffs and will take countermeasures to safeguard its own rights and interests, after Trump imposed a 34% reciprocal tariff on the country.
MEXICO
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said on Wednesday that her country would not pursue a “tit-for-tat on tariffs” but would rather announce a comprehensive programme on Thursday.
JAPAN
Japanese Trade Minister Yoji Muto described the reciprocal tariffs as extremely regrettable and said that Tokyo would urge the US to exempt Japan from tariff measures. Tokyo faces a 24% reciprocal tariff.
SOUTH KOREA
South Korean Ministry of Industry said Acting President Han Duck-soo mandated emergency support measures for affected businesses, including automobiles, after Trump's tariff announcement included a 25% rate on South Korea.
BRAZIL
The government of Latin America's largest economy Brazil, which Trump slapped with a 10% tariff, said it was evaluating all possible actions to ensure reciprocity in bilateral trade, including resorting to the World Trade Organization.
AUSTRALIA
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Australia would seek to negotiate with the US to remove the tariffs without resorting to a dispute resolution mechanism in the two countries' Free Trade Agreement.
He added that his government would not impose reciprocal tariffs as this would increase prices for Australian households.
“We will not join a race to the bottom that leads to higher prices and slower growth,” Albanese said.
EUROPEAN UNION
Chairman of the European Parliament's international trade committee, Bernd Lange, said the EU would response through legal, legitimate, proportionate and decisive measures.
“I hope that our arguments and the firmness of our response will provide sufficient incentives to bring the US to the negotiating table,” Lange said.
Ireland's trade minister, Simon Harris, said the EU will have to respond in a proportionate manner which protects our citizens, our workers and our businesses, while Portugal's Economy Minister Pedros Reis called for a firm, but also very intelligent response.
Prev Article
Love Island’s Grace wears ring on her left hand on Paris trip with Luca after lavish ‘girlfriend proposal’
Next Article
Glen Powell breaks his silence on Sydney Sweeney dating rumors after she attends his sister’s wedding