Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Israel to expand Gaza military operation with large-scale evacuations

Published on April 02, 2025 at 08:36 AM

Israeli government on Wednesday announced a major expansion of military operations in Gaza, saying large areas of the enclave would be seized and added to its security zones, accompanied by large-scale evacuations of the population.

Israel's leaders have been urged by signs of protest in Gaza against Hamas, the militant group which has controlled the enclave since 2007.

The expanded operation appeared at least partly aimed at increasing civilian pressure on its leaders.

Recall that an Israeli airstrike killed several people, including a Hezbollah official in Beirut on Tuesday.

According to a statement, Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said evacuations would take place from areas where there was fighting, while urging Gazans to eliminate Hamas and return Israeli hostages as the only way to end the war.

The Israeli military had already issued evacuation warnings to Gazans living around the southern city of Rafah and towards the city of Khan Yunis, telling them to move to the Al-Mawasi area on the shore, previously designated a humanitarian zone.

According to Israel's Army Radio, the 36th division, sent to the Southern Command area last month to prepare for operations in Gaza, would take part in the operation.

Katz's statement did not make clear how much land Israel intended to seize.

Israeli forces have already set up a significant buffer zone within Gaza, expanding an area that existed around the edges of the enclave before the war and adding a large security area in the so-called Netzarim corridor through the middle of Gaza.

Similarly, Israeli leaders have said they plan to facilitate voluntary departure of Palestinians from the enclave, after US President Donald Trump called for it to be permanently evacuated and redeveloped as a coastal resort under US control.

Katz's remarks came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu repeated calls for Hamas to disarm and said the application of military pressure was the best way to get back the remaining 59 hostages.

“I call on the residents of Gaza to act now to eliminate Hamas and return all the kidnapped. This is the only way to end the war,” Katz said.

Prev Article

Fate of hit BBC drama starring Lily Allen’s brother and Skins legend revealed after two series

Next Article

I thought I’d need a brand new kitchen but discovered Shein’s stick-on tiles & completed the makeover with Amazon buys

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *