Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

‘My kids feared I was going to die, I could see their fear ‘ – Premier League icon Tony Mowbray on his cancer battle

Published on April 05, 2025 at 02:49 PM

TONY MOWBRAY has opened up on his harrowing battle with bowel cancer.

The popular boss, 61, stepped away from his job as boss in February 2024 as he battled the disease.

West Bromwich Albion manager Tony Mowbray giving a thumbs-up.
Tony Mowbray was appointed as West Brom boss in January

Following a “dehumanising” 16-month period that left him fearing for his life, Mowbray was finally given the all-clear to return to work by doctors.

The experienced manager subsequently returned to , the club he won promotion to the Premier League with in 2008.

On the stark reality that followed his cancer diagnosis, Mowbray told The Times: “I had the conversation with my family and you could see they were frightened.

“Was I frightened? My only thoughts were for my family, my three children and my wife and making sure they were OK.

“I had to put everything in order and I tried to. My wife saw our banking app for the first time in her life. It’s little things like that.

“She understood. This was serious stuff. I felt she needed to know where we had our money, whether it was ISAs or pensions and what was in the bank.”

Mowbray underwent crucial surgery just 10 days after his diagnosis, and now admits: “Lots of things go through your mind. Am I going to wake up?

“I feel very humble. I have been in the hands of some amazing people. I’ve spent a lot of time in hospital, I’ve spent a lot of time on medication. I’ve spent a lot of time in chemotherapy. It’s a medicine to treat cancer. It ravages your body.”

Having previously been on temporary leave, Mowbray formally stepped down as Birmingham boss in May 2024.

His No2 Mark Venus had initially stepped in, before was appointed until the end of the season.

On what made him decide to resign, Mowbray added: “I remember catching myself in a glass door and I didn’t even recognise it was me in the reflection. I was a shell of a man really. My cheeks were sunk in.

“I had lost 4.5 stone, I was hunched over and I made the decision then. I phoned Garry Cook [Birmingham chief executive] that day and said I wouldn’t be going back because I needed to get well.”

Mowbray maintained that he would like to return to work if his health would allow.

And when Carlos Corberan left The Hawthorns for following Mowbray's all-clear, the possibility of a dream return to West Brom became a possibility.

In January he sealed a remarkable return to work, penning a two-and-a-half year contract with the Baggies.

Upon taking the West Brom job, a delighted Mowbray said: “I’m ready to relish the challenge again. It’s a new challenge.

“I know I’ve been here before, but it’s a new challenge, a new time, a new era for me at the club.”

Prev Article

Grand National 2025 LIVE RESULTS: Huge Aintree race on NOW with wide open field for £1million showpiece – updates

Next Article

Abducted Isreali not travelling with military escorts – Nigerian Army refutes police claim

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *